A big part of jewelry making lies in the moments before you actually start making jewelry. The creative, plan-making part of the process is when you decide what type of jewelry you want to make and which beads and other gems you want to use to make it. For some, this is the best part of the jewelry-making process, but for others, the incredible amount of choices in beading tools and supplies can feel overwhelming. Here’s a quick look at some factors that can help as you start considering which beads to choose for your upcoming jewelry pieces:
4 Things to Consider When Choosing Beads for Your Jewelry
- The type of jewelry itself and its purpose. The first important thing to consider is what type of jewelry you want to make, for whom, and what event. For example, if you want to build up a friendship bracelet or a commemorative gift for a friend, then alphabet letter beads are a good type of bead to choose. But if you’re wanting to create something like a necklace for a more formal event like a wedding, then you should consider adding in Swarovski crystal beads.
- Whether there are any concerns on materials. What type of beads you choose may depend upon certain material considerations. For example, if you are building a jewelry piece that you want to wear every day and in more active situations (such as jogging), you might choose a stronger type of material, such as stone beads. Unfortunately, not all beads are built for daily wear and tear. Glass beads and Swarovski crystal beads are better used in jewelry pieces that are not going to be worn daily.
- If you are in need of certain colors or matching schemes. Some types of beads and jewelry materials will go with anything. For example, sterling silver beads are very versatile and can go well with just about any outfit. However, colored crystal beads and gold-filled beads may not be quite so adaptable. That said, these pieces can be the perfect color for some looks!
- How big do you want your finished piece to be? Certain jewelry supplies like beads might be too small or too large for the desired look. For example, a small charm might be the perfect accent piece on a bracelet but could look cluttered if paired with others on a longer neckpiece. A lot of good jewelry making is about balancing your beads, charms, and other pieces.
Ready to Get Started? Visit Our Website Today
Now that you have a good idea of how to plan your next jewelry-making session, the next step is to order up your pieces and get started crafting! Check out our website at Crystal Findings for an easy and fast way to buy jewelry making supplies online.
Alphabet letter beads are fun and quirky beads, each of which features a different letter of the alphabet. Often, alphabet letter beads come as part of any basic beading tools and supplies kit as they are one of the most popular types of beads to get started beading with. Why? Because they are typically a part of the friendship bracelets that are so often the very first type of beading jewelry a young person will make.
Beaded Alphabet Bracelet & Necklace Gifting Ideas
The traditional friendship bracelets that bear each person’s name remain among the most popular beaded jewelry made with alphabet beads, but they certainly are not alone in this category. These types of beads can be used in a variety of out of the box creative jewelry ideas that make for excellent gift ideas, including:
- Spiritual milestones. First communion, bar or bat mitzvahs, and more personal spiritual milestones are popular points of gift-giving, and what better gift than to fashion a bracelet that lists an important verse from a loved one’s preferred holy text?
- Encouragement for life changes. Maybe your best friend got a new car or a cousin is planning a road trip across the country? These big changes bring about new opportunities and a small gift like a beaded bracelet with words of encouragement and inspiration is a fantastic token of your support.
- Celebration of a new family addition. Beaded bracelets are often used to connect friends, but that isn’t the only type of relationship that has to be celebrated. Maybe a friend added a new pet to their life, or a sister is about to become a mother. A bracelet made with alphabet and stone beads listing the name of this new familial addition is a great celebratory gift.
Supplies to Make Beaded Alphabet Bracelets & Necklaces
Are you ready to get crafting? The first step is to make sure you have the right supplies. We recommend the following basics for your first alphabet beaded jewelry gift:
- Alphabet beads
- Decorative beads to place in combination with alphabet beads, such as stone beads or sterling silver beads
- Elastic string or other type of cord to thread your beads on
- Sharp jewelry scissors
- Glue that dries fast and clear
All of these items can be bought at your neighborhood crafts supply store, but for the best deals and the best selection, you will want to buy jewelry making supplies online.
Visit Crystal Findings to Learn More
Here at Crystal Findings, we are passionate about not just getting our customers the best supply of affordable jewelry-making supplies, but also helping them learn more about what they can create and do with those supplies. Browse our blog for more jewelry-making tips and be sure to visit our online store for the best in online jewelry-making supplies!
We also welcome customers to visit our showroom in Philadelphia by calling in advance.